I am doing an interesting experiment this Fall. A group of us are going to preach through the Gospel of Luke together by collaborating the sermon prep. Some of us will be in a room together in Portland and others will join via Skype.
I have always enjoyed collaborative projects and I really enjoy sermon prep so I am hoping that it is doubly enjoyable to combine them!
There are two wrinkles that I am looking forward to:
- We are saving the nativity story for Advent (December) so we will begin the series in September with Chapter 3 of the Gospel.
- One top of the NT Wright ‘Luke For Everyone”, each of us is reading a different commentary and then bringing that unique resource to the prep table.
The 2nd resource can be whatever you want. We will compare notes each month at the planning meeting. All the resources and planning materials will be uploaded to a website and dropbox.
I plan on using two resources – one for my congregation and one for my sermon prep.
My sermons will be triple-layered:
- What did Luke’s original audience hear?
- What has this passage come to mean since then?
- What is the most that this text can mean in the 21st century?
I want to introduce both the historical context AND the progressive trajectory of the gospel.
The hope is to help people consider a grown up version of Jesus, not just the ‘Mr. Rogers with a beard‘ version from Kids Sunday School.
Luke: Preaching Gospel
8th 1:1-4 Intro: 4 Gospels 1 Jesus
15th 3: 1-20 Voices in the Wilderness
22nd 3: 21-38 Where did you come from?
29th 4: 1-29 Trusting God – Rejected by Humans
6th 4: 31-44 Healing Inside and Out
13th 5: 1-11 Go Deep (Discipleship)
20th 5:12-31 Restored and Repaired
27th 5:33-6:11 Rules and Religion
3rd 6:12-36 Raising Expectations
10th 6:37-49 Compare and Contrast
17th 7:1-17 Life is Tough
24th 7: 18-50 Two Different Lives
1st 1:5-45 Setting the Scene
8th 1:46-80 Songs of Hope
15th 2:2-20 Event Horizon
22nd 2:22-40 Promises Seen
29th 2: 41-52 House and Temple
5th 8: 1-21 Growing and Belonging
12th 8: 22-39 Power and Grace
19th 8: 40-56 Daughters Restored
26th 9: 1-23 Mid-Term Exam (now you try)